Monday, February 27, 2012

The Oscars - My Opinion

There are many things that I will talk about so let me just begin.
First, where did Hugo come from?? I mean, I knew what it was but I never really heard anything else about it until last night when it won all those awards. I don't feel like it should have won all it did but I don't even think I've seen a trailer for it so I can't judge.
As for the host, I really didn't think he was funny. I missed the first 20 minutes of the show but I don't think I missed much from him. And this morning I saw that he did blackface which I have a serious problem with so that doesn't make it any better. I just wonder what it would've been like if Eddie Murphy hosted, but I guess we'll never know.
I wasn't surprised when Octavia Spencer won for Best Supporting Actress. I really was a no-brainer.
I was shocked that The Artist won Best Picture. I'm not sure if it was because it was better than the other films nominated. I mean, it was a silent black and white film and  the others weren't, which kind of makes it unfair because of all the things that the other films could and did do with sound and color. I really respect everyone involved in The Artist for what they did. I was thinking why should you use sound and color just because the option is there? And they really did pay homage to that era, I just don't think that it should've won best picture.
Now on to Best Actress. What am upset!!!! I really wanna know if anyone was expecting Meryl Streep to win?? I don't think so. I think she's lost so many times that people are just like she won't win again so she's not even a front runner.
Now I have to tell you how I feel about the whole race issue. I feel like it would have been a bad outcome either way and let me explain why. If Davis and Spencer one it would've been good because they are African American and not many African Americans have Oscars, so that would've been nice. The bad thing about them winning is the role they won the Oscar for: being maids to white women. It really sucks that this is the role that an African American women get nominated for, and I mean a stereotypical role. And so Octavia Spencer won and that's nice because she's a great actress and deserves credit for her work it just sucks that it had to wait until she was a maid to a white family for her to get recognized. And Viola Davis didn't win which sucked but was still a good thing. I think that I would've been even more angry if Davis had won for her role in The Help and this is why. The last time she was nominated for an Oscar was for her role in Doubt which wasn't a stereotypical Black role and I saw Doubt and thought she did a good job, but she didn't win the Oscar. If she won it for The Help I would've been pissed because it's like we have to wait to see her being a stereotypical Black role for her to win an Oscar, but she didn't win again so I'm not that mad.
I also find it interesting that no one really talked about the lack of Black males that were nominated. 

Overall, I'm starting to think that the Oscars are becoming unimportant for the American population. I feel like people used to look at the Oscars to find the greats in this business, but now I don't think that's the case. I think people are getting their own opinions on actors/actresses and directors and so on, and so they don't need the Oscars to tell them who's good because they are deciding for themselves.
As for last night's show, I don't think it was great at all. I didn't like Cirque du Soleil's performance, I don't think it fit, the host wasn't funny, the only presenter I liked was Chris Rock. I wish he hosted instead of Billy Crystal.

I probably won't watch The Oscars next year. I have my own opinions on film and actors/actresses and such as you can see here, so no I won't watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment