Thursday, July 31, 2014

Dawn of the Planet of the Ape (2014)

Synopsis
Caesar (Andy Serkis) and the apes are living peacefully believing that there are no more humans on Earth. Soon they encounter a group of humans and they both have to decide whether they can live knowing they both exist or not.

My Verdict
I was very pleased with this movie. This is what I expected the sequal to be like. I have to be honest and say that it was a little predictable, but not so much that I saw everything coming because I didn't. Also the CGI was so good! I mean, those weren't real apes and I had to keep reminding myself that. The only thing that made me mad was the 3D. It was pointless! I spent extra money for 3D and it wasn't even that great. There were moments when 3D would've been perfect and amazing but they didn't use it. So if you're thinking about seeing it in 3D, don't. Also, I stayed til the credits were over because I always think there's going to be something extra now, and there was nothing. There were creepy ape sounds but that was it. They didn't really make you feel like there was another movie coming out next either. I mean, it just ended. There was nothing that made you feel like "uh oh [something crazy] happened and now we have to see what happens next." I guess what I'm trying to say is that there was no cliffhanger and now I don't know if there's going to be a third movie or not.
Now on to the deeper messages of the movie. I heard a lot of people talking about how this movie is anti-gun and I totally saw that. If there were no guns than half of the conflict wouldn't have happened. Actually, there would be no conflict if there were no guns. I think the main message of Rise and Dawn is that, basically, humans ruin everything. Humans were the ones that put the apes in the facility, tested them, and ended up creating a virus that killed more than half the planet. Humans were the ones that took the apes from their natural habitat to do all this testing on them. Humans were the firsts ones to get violent. All the apes wanted to do was live separately in peace. So, the humans ruined everything and brought all this trouble among themselves.
I'm giving this movie a 8.5/10.

Spoilers
I just want to freak out a little because Koba almost killed Caesar! Who cried when that happened and who was shocked when Caesar was actually alive? *raises hand*
Also, I knew that Blue Eyes would end up finding Malcolm and let him go with the medicine for Caesar. That whole part and the part when Caesar came back to fight Koba was predictable and very reminiscent of the Lion King.
One question I have: is there really an army coming? Dreyfus said that they got a hold of people outside of their town and an army was coming, but I got the feeling he was just saying that to scare Malcolm. I guess we'll in the next movie, if there is one.

IMDB page, Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment