Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Switched at Birth - The Image Disappears

I think I said that last week's episode was the most emotional episode but I was wrong. This was the most emotional episode I've ever seen of this show. I only have a few things to say about specific moments in the episode before I talk about the whole episode. 

First off to John, that was a really awful thing to think. How can you be glad that he spent the $5 million?! Okay, you were right but don't feel happy about it! Second, that SAT procter was very insensitive. I'm pretty sure they would at least let Daphne answer her phone or they could answer it for her and let her know what's going on. It was an emergency for goodness sakes! Third, why would they mention suicide? I know it's part of their jobs but gosh it's awful. To be honest, I thought about it for a split second but then I thought, 'he wouldn't go that far?' Lastly, I could not take those visions of the future. I mean, it just made the heartbreak so much worse. 

Now this episode as a whole was fantastic. I know it was extremely devastating, but it was very well done. The acting was also very well done, especially Katie Leclerc. Why a death? Well, I felt like something this dramatic needed to happen or the show would've fallen flat and Bay getting pregnant wouldn't have done it. The characters have been through so much and death was the only thing we haven't seen them go through, except for the "what if" episode, but that wasn't real. Now, why did it have to be Angelo? Well, it had to hit hard. A student/friend dying would have been awful but he's one of the parents and neither girl had spent much time with him compared to their other parents. I think they needed something that would really shake up the dynamic of the show and effect every character. Yes, Regina, Bay, and Daphne will be most affected but how they react will affect Toby, John and Kathryn. So, I'm looking forward to this arc in all the characters and can't wait to see how they react to it all. 
Another thing I want to mention is the choice to show visions of the future as well as  flashbacks. Usually with episodes like this you only see flashbacks and/or people reminiscing of old times, but this was the first time I saw visions of the future. I think that this gave the episode another level of emotion. I think it was a fantastic choice and I applaud the writers for that.

So overall this episode was well done and I'm very interested in seeing how the rest of the season plays out. I think it's going to be their best one yet.

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment