Thursday, April 3, 2014

Beasts of the Southern Wild


"Once there was a Hushpuppy and she lived with her daddy in the bathtub." This film is about a girl, named Hushpuppy (Quvenzhane Wallis), her dad Wink (Dwight Henry) and their community that lives away from regular society in a place they call "the bathtub." They fear for the day when the ice caps melt and the water rises and destroying their home. Throughout the film the adults teach the kids what to do to survive if and when that happens. Hushpuppy also searches for her mother. 

While watching this film I immediately thought that this must be a film about the effects of global warming and that there would be some message at the end about what we can do to prevent this, but I was wrong. This film was really about community and family sticking together and doing what they can to survive. If it was about global warming it wasn't preachy or biased. It just showed what would happen if. I also thought of hurricane Katrina and just hurricanes in general and how people don't want to leave their homes for anything. They felt so connected and so loyal to their homes that nothing could take them away from it and that's what the people of the bathtub were like, especially Wink and his friends. While watching I got this overall feel that this was their home, this was their way of life and there was nothing that could be done to make them conform. 
Overall, I liked the film. After some research I found out it's based on a play and I wish I had read that before I watched the movie because the film was a little odd to me, at first. Then I started to realize it's true message, forgot about how it wasn't like most movies out there and accepted it for what it was. 
I'm trying to do a rating system so, I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10. I want to know what yall thought about it. I heard some people didn't like it and I want to know why. So whether you liked it or not, tell me why in the comments below. And remember, I'm always open for suggestions, so if there's a movie you want me to review let me know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment