Friday, August 15, 2014

Belle (2013)

Synopsis
This movie is about the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle (Gugu Mbatha-Raw). Her mother was Black and her father was a royal navy admiral and the story takes place in 18th Century England. Dido was raised by her great uncle, Lord Mansfield (Tom Wilkinson). The film takes place around the time of Dido's coming out when she influences her great uncle, a Chief Justice, to make changes that eventually end slavery in England.

My Verdict
I thought this movie was pretty fantastic. Dido was an amazing person and I wish I learned about her when I was in school. Gugu Mbatha-Raw's performance was fantastic. I was blown away. This movie was tough to watch mainly because of the time period when it took place, but that shouldn't discourage you from watching. It's an important story that people should know and it does have a happy ending. There's also a bit of a love story as well, so people who like that will be pleased.
The writer, Misan Sagay, gets my seal of  approval. I just love the fact that it was written and directed by women.
I'm giving it a 10/10. All I can say about this movie is that it's great and I think everyone should see it, multiple times! So there's my short and sweet review, but I do want to say one more thing.

Movies like this are really important. but rarely told. I didn't know who Dido was until this movie came out and that's a problem. My hope and wish is that more stories like this one are told and that more people support films like this one.

IMDB page, Pic credit

1 comment:

  1. I also really liked this film. I gave it an A-. Dido is a great character and I also thought the film was feminist, which is totally cool. I especially agree with your last paragraph. You can read my own blog for more.

    ReplyDelete