Friday, March 6, 2015

Scandal - The Lawn Chair

This was the most powerful and beautiful hour of television I have ever seen. Everything about this episode was amazing.

I have to say that when I first saw the promo for this episode I was a little skeptical, as were a lot of people. I have seen cop dramas try and tackle this situation but I never felt this way after watching them, and a lot of that credit has to go to the writers. They did an wonderful job carefully crafting this. Their word choices were brilliant. I know we all loved when Marcus said "Your black card is not getting validated today" and when Liv checked the police chief and told him the crowd wasn't a "mob" but "Americans", just powerful stuff. I especially liked her reaction to when the cop said "you people." I know when I hear that I immediately say "'You people?!' What do you mean 'you people?!'" But Liv said "us people." She included herself in with the people who he was talking about, and that was a reminder that just because she's a power Black woman doesn't mean that people don't see her like that cop sees her.
They were also careful with their portrayal of Fitz and the white house in this situation. Fitz was up to date on what was going on but there were still other things that he had to take care of. Not more important things, just other things and that is the reality of being POTUS. Also, we have to remember that Fitz went through a similar situation. He knows exactly how Clarence feels. That scene between the two of them, I mean who wasn't crying?!
One thing I found very interesting was that they never said that they charged the cop for murder.

Can we talk about the performances of everyone in that episode?! From Courtney B. Vance to Susan Ross, everyone was so on point. From just the looks that Kerry Washington was giving you could see that inner battle Olivia was having with herself. She was hired by the cops but treated Clarence like her client from the beginning. She was trying to do what she was hired to do and also fight for the truth. You could tell she was taking in everything that Marcus was saying and you knew a choice was coming.
I was just blown away by Courtney B. Vance and Cornelius Smith Jr. (Marcus) They were amazing. Can Marcus join OPA because I need that. And, that scene with Mellie, Fitz, and Susan was so good!

The editing, sound mixing, directing, just everything behind the camera was great. The music that was chosen was perfect. The shot of the JKF portrait in the white house and then that last scene, just unbelievable. I mean, I was left speechless and crying.

Overall this episode was powerful and beautiful. This wasn't just some entertaining hour of television, this was art. Art imitating life and then showing us what should happen. It gave us the hope that life can imitate art. Bravo to Shonda Rhimes and everyone involved in this episode. This was a daunting task and they did an amazing job.

Pic Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment