Monday, January 12, 2015

Selma (2014)

Synopsis
This movie tells of the efforts of Martin Luther King Jr to get the voting rights act passed in 1965. There is a huge focus on the march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.

My Verdict
I went to see this when it came out in my area (January 9th), and have finally been able to put into words how I felt about it. It was so unbelievable that it left everyone in the theater speechless! I was just so overwhelmed with emotions that I couldn't even put it into words. I had tears in my eyes throughout the entire film. It was just that good. It was captivating, emotional, honest, and so necessary. From the moment it began I was in it and couldn't look away.
Let's talk about the acting. David Oyelowo played that role! I couldn't go on without saying that. But really, all the acting was amazing, from the big roles to the smaller ones. Carmen Ejogo as Coretta was a wonderful casting choice. We didn't see her a lot, but she brought it when we did. Her performance was amazing.
I want to talk about Ava DuVernay, the cinematographer, Bradford Young and how amazing they are! The way this film was shot blew me away. There were just so many scenes that left me in awe. The eye that these people have is just ridiculous. I love it!
Costumes, hair and make up all deserve awards. They did a fantastic job giving us that 60's feel. When I first saw Carmen Ejogo I was like "oh my gosh, she is Coretta." Whoever had anything to do with that rocks!
The smartest thing about this movie is that it focuses on this one event in MLK's life and not his whole life and the civil rights movement. We've all seen those movies like that and they try to cram so much into them and it's a lot. This film did not do that and I think that's why it was so good. They were able to spend less time making sure they got everything in and more time on showing this portion of history in the best way. And it was something different and so refreshing. It was so nice not to see the same thing that we've been getting over and over and over. So bravo on that and bravo all around.

I really have no complaints about this movie. We didn't even hear any of MLK's famous speeches and I wasn't even bothered by that. This was one of the best movies of the year - no, the best! This film and everyone involved deserves to be nominated for everything and I hope they win everything that they're nominated for. I'm keeping my figures crossed for Ava DuVeray to get nominated for an Oscar and when it happens, oh the tears will fall! 10/10 hands down! Please go see this movie and take everyone you know with you.

IMDB Page, Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment