Wednesday, October 12, 2016

2016 Fall Premiere: Supergirl


Supergirl is back and picked up right were it left off. Overall, I thought it was an okay premiere. A lot happened and I feel like it would have been better if the storylines lasted 2 episode instead of one.
The finale ended with Kara and J'onn discovering the pod and the premiere picked up right then. So in the 2 days the premiere was we find out who was in the pod, Superman got introduced, Winn got a new job at the DEO, Lena Luther was introduced, Kara figured out what her new job would be at CatCo, her relationship with James came and went, and we got more of a glimpse of Cadmus. And some of it got lost in the sauce. For example, Winn left CatCo. I had to watch it again to catch them mention it. It was brief and there wasn't an explanation. He was just on the team and not at CatCo anymore. Really, the only reason I knew it would happen was because I read it in an article during the hiatus.
I know that the writers were probably excited and wanted to give us as much as the could with this premiere, but I think they should've given us a few things so each storyline could get the amount of time it needed. I feel like they should've addressed the pod, Superman, Lena, and Cadmus in the premiere and left the rest of the stuff for the second episode.

I also feel like they told us a lot instead of just showing it. I also read that Kara was going to be struggling with what it means to be Kara now that she's finally found herself as Supergirl. Instead of showing us that throughout the season she just flat out said it to Clark halfway through the episode. And I figured that her personal life, e.i. her relationship with James, wasn't going to be perfect, but I wasn't expecting it to end so quickly, or at all. This was the one thing that I was afraid would happen and it did. It was the thing that I disliked the most, and it's not just because I ship them. The relationship wasn't given the time it needed to get to that point. They could have shown Kara struggle between her hero life and her personal life. Then she and James could've worked on that together. Now they're back to where they were in the beginning. And it doesn't help that they spent all of last season building up their relationship only to take it away. It also didn't help that it felt like Kara made that decision in about five minutes.

Which leads me back to my point about how they gave us too much and not enough time. I really think that was the downfall of this premiere. The look, feel, and action were great but the storylines were rushed. I'll be watching each week hoping this doesn't last.
What did yall think of the premiere?

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment