Friday, September 9, 2016

Queen Sugar


I have to be honest. These first 2 episodes have left me in awe. Almost speechless. The first episode was aired without commercials and after it was over, it took me about half an hour to get off the couch because I was processing. It was a good feeling to have. I missed having to sit a bit after an episode to digest it all. I missed actually wanting commercial breaks because they gave me a change to breathe. I have been craving something like this for a long time. Everything about this show was amazing. The cinematography was so crisp; every shot was beautiful. On top of that, the acting, the writing, and even the music was phenomenal! Every character is complex and has layers. We got to see Black fatherhood which is something that we need more of on screen. We also got to see 3 generations of the Black men, comforting each other and it was so beautiful I teared up.
This show is really setting the bar for quality television. I can already tell that this show is going to spoil me. I know I'm going to end up comparing all the other shows I watch to this one. And you know what, I don't care. Other shows should be looking at this one and want to get on this level.

All this to say that the first new show of the 2016 TV season is a winner. It spoke to my soul in ways that other shows haven't. Ever. If you haven't watched this show, you need to start and I suggest you find version without commercials. And if you have watched it, isn't it amazing? Let's dissect this show together.

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment