Friday, August 19, 2016

Ugly Betty


A long time ago, 14 year old me started a new series called Ugly Betty. Now, 10 years later, I've finally finished the series. I'm also kicking myself for not finishing it back then.
There are so many great things that I can say about this show. One of the things that I really loved was the unique relationships between all the characters. You could put together any combination of characters and each relationship had depth and interesting things about it.
The family aspect was amazing. You could tell that these people really loved one another and would do anything for each other. Even with Daniel's family and all of their drama, they were still able to reconcile and show love to one another.
Betty and Hilda's relationship was a great representation of a sibling relationship. I love seeing siblings on TV. These two fought, they had rough patches, but in the end love prevailed. You could also say the same thing about Daniel and Alexis.
The representation of all different groups of people on this show is something that we are craving to see now. First, the women power. Every woman on this show was a boss who spoke their mind, stood up for themselves and others. They worked hard to get what they wanted and they didn't let anyone stop them from achieving their goals. Even with Wilhelmina and her scheming. She did what she thought she had to to get to where she wanted to be. Second, a Latino family was the center of the show. That's something that we rarely saw back then and something that we rarely see now. Marc and Justin represented the LGBT community. I just feel like with each group represented on this show, we saw them as different, complex people with depth and not the stereotypes that we often see.

I have to talk about how the series ended. I thought it was perfect. In the final episodes, everyone got what they wanted and it didn't seem forced or out of character. It just seemed right.
And the relationship between Betty and Daniel! Now, it didn't take long for me to want them together as a couple. (This shipping thing that people speak of. It's a blessing and a curse sometimes.) I was really satisfied with how everything played out. I didn't want them together while Betty still worked at Mode. I always found it a little sketch when a character becomes interested in his or her boss. It's not that I think they're doing it for the wrong reason. I just think that it brings on a level of drama, which we saw with Betty and Matt. Plus, people will always think that you're getting special treatment even if you aren't. So I'm glad that they didn't just put them together early on. Neither of them realized that they had feelings for each other, too. I'd rather see that being mentioned to them genuinely, not as a joke, and them start to figure it all out than them immediately in a relationship. I'm not going to lie, though. There were some pretty frustrating moments, but overall I'm happy with what happened in the end.

Ugly Betty is a show that was ahead of it's time and has the qualities that we are desperately seeking in the shows of today.  So if you are looking for a show that actually represents what the world looks like and has great acting and writing, check this one out. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Pic credit

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen the show a couple of times and it seemed pretty good. I love a show with a good ship in it, especially if that ship isn't what carries the show. Now that I've seen your review, I think I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm glad you're going to revisit it. It's a great show and there aren't that many seasons so it won't take forever to get through.

      Delete