Thursday, June 26, 2014

Serenity (2005)

Synopsis
This movie is an extension of the TV series "Firefly." For all those unfamiliar with the show, it is a space western about the crew of the ship called Serenity. Mal (Nathan Fillion) is the leader of the crew which includes Zoe (Gina Torres), Wash (Alan Tudyk), Jayne (Adam Baldwin), Kaylee (Jewel Staite), Inara (Morena Baccarin), Shepherd (Ron Glass), Simon (Sean Maher), and River (Summer Glau). The series follows them in space and all the problems they encounter. It's only 14 episodes so you should definitely check it out.
The movie follows the crew as they are being chased by The Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a killer who is after River. The crew has to do everything they can to save her.

My Verdict
This movie was great! It was perfect closure for the series. Watching the series I always felt really stressed out and that didn't change with this move. I really felt like I was watching an epic season ender. Like, this is how the series should've ended. It was fantastic. There was backstory when needed and there was also stuff that messed with my feels. I'll discuss all of this in more detail later.
I'm giving this movie a 8.5/10. It did exactly what I wanted it to and I am now at peace with the series. I'm just really sad it's all over.

Spoilers
So, thank you so much for the backstory on River. And tying it all in with the reavers, and actually seeing the reavers ... YES! I was so happy about this. I know the reavers are super awful humans and seeing them wouldn't be great but I still wanted to know what they looked like. Also, I didn't really know if the were humans or not from the series, but now I know.
We learned so much about River in the one episode than what we got in the entire series. Thank goodness we did because of all the people I wanted to know more about she was at the top of my list.
The two things that really hurt my feelings were Wash and Shepherd dying! Why did they have to die?! That was brutal and I'm not sure if I'm fully over it. I'll be okay though.
So that's that. The end of a series. I will leave you with a quote from the movie that I really liked: "Half of writing history is hiding the truth."

IMDB page, Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment