Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Switched at Birth - Love Among the Ruins

Switched at Birth is finally back!! I don't think I've anticipated a premiere of this show this much ever, especially after seeing the promo for the episode. So let's get into it.

I'm not going to waste anytime; let's talk about Bay and Emmett's situation. First off, Bay cheated on Tank! Oh how the tables have turned. I'm just upset Bay didn't come clean to Tank about it. I have a bad feeling things won't go over smoothly with them. All those times she got cheated on (or thought she got cheated on) and she turns around and cheats herself. That is just crazy and I can't imagine how she feels about it. Also, she and Emmett didn't use protection! Thankfully Bay took care of it by taking the morning after pill. I must say that I don't think I've ever seen that happen on a TV show so you can add that to the list of things this show has done that hasn't been done before. And now Bay's parents know someone Googled about the morning after pill! That situation isn't over yet. All of this craziness has me wondering if Bay and Emmett will ever really be together. I'm starting to think no because something disastrous always happens when they're together. It just never seems like it could work, but that could be even bigger reason to root for them. 
As for Emmett and Melody's situation I'm shocked. Whatever picture Matthew has must be bad if Emmett won't tell the truth about the catfishing. But if you think about it, if he did tell the truth and Matthew leaked the picture, that would help Emmett's case even more. As for Melody, good for her. Emmett is her son and clearly she will do anything to protect him. As for Matthew, he needs to get a life and leave Emmett alone. Period. I hope she gets caught, too. 

Daphne and Regina are still dealing with the vandalism that happened at Regina's shop. Daphne is determined to find out who was behind the whole thing and I don't blame her but she's putting herself into dangerous situations. Even though Bay went with her, going to see that Nacho guy was a bad idea. If he was a gang member he could have really hurt them and I have a feeling this isn't the last we'll see of him. Daphne held her cool this time though. I know Nacho won't be calling Regina a whore again, especially in the presence of Daphne because she will go off! My favorite part about the whole thing were the conversations Daphne and Angelo had in the episode. They have been on such shaky term this entire series and it looks like things are looking up. I'm also glad to see that Angelo and Regina are living together again. It just sucks that all this crap had to happen on Regina's birthday, but that was a great way to end it. 

I must go on a happy rant about this show for a minute. I know I said it before but this show tackles so many issues that aren't tackled on any other show I've seen or in any way I've seen on another show. I mean, on what other show do find such exposure to Deaf Culture? Or one that tackles teen issues the way this show does? I think it's more real than I've ever seen and they're not trying to be funny or make a joke out of it. These are serious issues and they're taken very seriously on this show. And I've never seen a show tackle gentrification before with both sides able to plead their case. I just love it. It just proves this show is so much more that just another teen drama. 

Overall, I loved the episode. So much happened and it doesn't look like they are slowing down either. The promo for next week left me shocked I can't imagine what state I'll be in after the episode! I can tell this is going to be a great 2nd half to the season. It's great to be back reviewing this show. Until next week. 

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment