Thursday, March 9, 2017

Get Out


I want to start off by saying that this is just an initial review. I really feel that I need to watch this a couple more times just so I can notice everything. But, I couldn't contain my thoughts so here we are.

I really enjoyed this movie. Jordan Peele did an amazing job! I've never seen such a great balance of horror and comedy in a movie before. I mean, I've seen comedy horror films but those were satire; this was not.
On the surface this is a film about a guy that goes to his girlfriend's parent's house for the weekend to meet her family, and a whole bunch of weird stuff happens. He ends up getting held hostage and has to fight his way out before he gets his brain removed. But, under the surface it's much much more.
  1. A black man goes to meet his white girlfriend's family and its horrifying. 
    • This is reality. And the whole "He would have voted for Obama a 3rd time if he could." = "I have a Black friend." 
    • All those white people at the party thought they were making Chris feel comfortable but they were doing the complete opposite.
  2. The parallel's to slavery. 
    • The bingo game that was actually an auction.
    • The fact that these white people were stripping away everything that makes Black people who they are and controlling them. And the psychological aspect of it all!
  3.  The white women were the most dangerous ones.
    • Needs no explanation.
This is how life really is! White people are scary and make us nervous especially when they are strangers. They try so hard to be "down" but end up making us feel more uncomfortable. And society is always trying to take away from us everything that makes us unique. People want to mold us into who they think we should be.
It really amazes me how he was able to include all of this (and more) in this movie. And yet it was still hilarious. Definite 10/10 from me.

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment