Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Greenleaf


This show is about the Greenleaf family. The father is the pastor of his church and the rest of the family (children and in-laws) have different jobs in the church. This family also lives in the same house with extended family living in the area. There are a lot of characters to keep up with (at least for me anyways) so I'm going to break it down for you.

Bishop James and Lady Mae Greenleaf: The parents. Out of everyone, they seem less likely to be hiding a secret but I have a feel that won't last long. The mayor wants to investigate the church but James won't let that happen. We don't know why, but I'm sure the real reason will come out sooner or later.

Grace "GG" Greenleaf: Our entry point into the series. She's the prodigal daughter of the family. She has a daughter, Sophia (who's easily influenced by her cousin Zora). We don't know who Sophia's dad is, but I'm hoping he'll show up at some point this season. Gracewent from being a PK (pastor's kid) to a Chreaster (Christmas and Easter church goer), to pastor of the church. She left 20 years ago and returns for her sister's (Faith) funeral. Her main reason for staying in town is to investigate her sister's death.
I like Grace. She's immediately taken on as pastor of the church and clearly has a different way of doing things that other staff members aren't used to. She's going to shake some things up and I can't wait to see it.

Jacob and Kerissa Greenleaf: Jacob is James and Lady Mae's son. He and his wife have 2 kids; a daughter, Zora and a son. Zora fits the profile of a PK. She quotes Bible scriptures but sneaks off to smoke weed during the youth lock in.
This relationship is so interesting to me. Jacob is having an affair and Kerissa knows about it. I was expecting him to be controlling and mean, but he's not like that at all. He's the quiet on in the relationship and Kerissa is the controlling one. Their relationship is unpredictable which is frustrating, but I like it because I don't like being able to predict things.

Kevin and Charity Greenleaf-Satterlee: Charity is James and Lady Mae's daughter. No one take Charity serious as a preacher. She suggests a series of sermons to do and they family basically laughs at her. It's so interesting because no one thinks she can do it. They think she's better off teaching children's church and starting a family of her own.
Now on to Kevin; it's made obvious that he's gay. I'm sure the only reason he agrees to have a baby is to keep Charity busy, but he's not okay with it. There were some hints about his backstory mentioned that's got me intrigued. I want to know more about his life and how he met Charity. I also want to know if Charity knows that Kevin's gay.

Robert 'Mac' McCready: Lady Mae's brother. He's literally the creepy uncle. When Grace comes back her mother tells her not to start any trouble with him. In that moment I knew that he either did something to Grace or someone else. I'm not going to tell you what he did. You'll just have to watch to find out.

Mavis McCready: Lady Mae's sister. The cool aunt. She owns a bar in town and is helping Grace with her investigation.

What we have here is a family that keeps up appearances on the outside but has some serious issues going on. We also get to see what goes on behind the scenes with this church. No one in this family is perfect and this church isn't perfect either, but in reality, what is?
I was hooked after the first 10 minutes so I'll be watching each week. I find it so interesting and I can't wait to see Grace uncover everything about Faith, and I can't wait to see what happens when all their secrets come out because they will come out eventually.

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment