Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Why I Love this Show: Orphan Black



Orphan Black is a show about a woman named Sarah Manning. In the first episode we see Sarah on a train heading, somewhere. When she arrives, she's standing on the train platform where she witnesses a woman kill herself. The kicker is that the woman looks exactly like her! Sarah ends up finding out she's a clone and this is the beginning of her journey to find out who that woman was, and why she killed herself. There are so many reasons why this show is great and why I think you should give it a chance. 

The first is Tatiana Maslany. She is the woman behind each clone on the show. Yup, that's right. She plays EVERY clone and sometimes there are multiple in one scene. I know we've all seen shows that have episodes where a character's evil twin or long lost twin comes to town and that actor has to be in the same room with him/herself. Well this show is like that, but multiply it by 2. Sometimes there are scenes where there are 4 clones! It's insane to see and I know I've never seen anything like it. The thing that really gets me is that I always think there's more than one person playing these clones when there's really only one. Every episode I watch I have to remind myself that it's just one person doing all this. That is real talent right there. 

Another thing I really love is that there's an aspect of each clone that I can find in myself. Sarah is hard on the outside but soft on the inside. Allison has a love for the theater. Helena is weird but also caring and loving. She also really loves food. And Cosima is a big nerd. There are many other clones and I'm sure there's something about them that I find in myself. And I'm sure you can find something in these clones that's similar to you as well.

I also love the mystery aspect of the show. There are just so many wonderful layers to it! I know a lot of mystery shows fall into is having too many questions and not enough answers. I don't feel like we get that with this show. Questions get answered. It's like each season gives new pieces to the puzzle. We don't get all the pieces in one season, but we get enough to get closure. The fact that we don't get all the pieces is reason enough for one to keep coming back to watch.

So these are just some of the reasons why I love this show. If any of the above intrigue you, I urge you to watch. All of the episodes can be found on the BBC America website. The great this is that there are only 10 episodes per season so there's only 30 episodes. The 4th season premieres on Thursday April 14th at 10pm.

Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment