Sunday, November 23, 2014

Beyond the Lights (2014)

Synopsis
Noni (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) is a pop star with a seemingly great life but this great life causes her to try and take her own life by jumping off the balcony of her hotel building. Luckily, her bodyguard Kaz (Nate Parker) comes to her rescue. This is the start of their relationship and they end up changing each other's lives in the process.

My Verdict
In short, I loved it. It is a great romantic drama with a little bit of comedy thrown in. Nate and Gugu gave amazing performances and their chemistry was equally amazing. The whole cast was fantastic. Minnie Driver played Noni's mom, Danny Glover played Kaz's dad, and we even got some Aisha Hines and I love it when she pops up on my screen.
Another great thing about this movie was the soundtrack. I've never wanted to go out and find the soundtrack to a non-musical movie before this one. I will definitely be rocking out to this music in the future. They really did an awesome job with this and I heard that Gugu did all her own singing. This girl has some real talent!
Lastly, I want to talk about the message of this film. It was very much about choosing your own path for yourself and not letting anyone choose it for you. This was definitely a theme for both Kaz and Noni. Both of their parents were forcing them to live their lives in ways that they didn't want to and they both had to learn to live their lives for them and no one else.
Another theme it touched on was depression ans suicide. Like I said above, Noni tried to take her life and she was depressed. The movie really touched on how you need to get help because you want it and not because someone else wants it for you.
Lastly, the movie also touched on the sexualization of woman in the music industry. This was an unspoken theme as it was seen more than said. We really only got one seen were we saw this and that was it. Honestly, I liked it better that way. This movie had the potential to be a PSA with this, but it wasn't. With all the other themes that were in this movie I think that this would've taken it over the top. It would've become just one big PSA instead of a great romantic film.
I'm giving this movie a 10/10.

IMDB page, Pic Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment