Thursday, May 1, 2014

Timeline (2003)

Synopsis
Edward Johnston (Billy Connolly) is a professor of archaeology. His son Chris (Paul Walker) and his students Kate (Frances O'Conner), Andre (Gerard Butler), Josh (Ethan Embry), and Francois (Rossif Southerland) have to travel back to 1357 France, through a wormhole, to rescue their professor who got stuck there. They only have 6 hour to find him and bring him home and their only way to get home is by pressing a button on a marker they wear around their necks. They get through this wormhole by a machine at the ITC company. This machine is accidentally destroyed and the scientists left there have to fix it in time so the students and their professor aren't stuck in 1357 forever. 

My Verdict
This is your typical 'race against time to save lives' type of movie, but I enjoyed it and it kept me on the edge of my seat. The movie starts out a little mysterious because the archaeologists aren't the first people we see. We are introduced to this ITC company first. This got me intrigued from the very beginning because it got me thinking how this company and the archaeologists are connected. 
I thought it was interesting that they wanted to send these archaeology students to find their professor instead of a group of scientists from the company. They actually wanted people that knew and cared about the culture they were stepping into instead of people that were there for the sake of science. I thought it was cool because instead of seeing people caring about scientific discovery, you saw people that cared about preserving the history of the time period that they were in. 
These people were literally in the middle of a war and went back on the day of a huge, epic battle. They spent so much time on them in 1357 that I almost forgot about the people in present day. There was some back and forth but most of the focus was on the students in 1357. 
I'm giving it a 7/10. I really like sci-fi stuff that has a tie in to history, like National Treasure and Sleepy Hollow (TV show) so I really enjoyed this movie. It entertained me, but the general storyline was like movies I've seen before (race against time to do something or your lives will change forever). There wasn't anything extremely different that made it stand out against the others, but it was still a great way to kickoff my Sci-Fi series of reviews. I read that this movie was based on a book and I wish I read it before I watched, but I hope it stayed true to the book. If it didn't, than I wouldn't be too happy but I haven't read it so I can't really say. If you've read the book but haven't seen the movie than I recommend you watch it and then let me know if the movie did a good job or not. 

Spoilers
Some specific things, so if you haven't watched yet don't spoil it for yourself. Stop reading!
I knew that Andre would end up being that guy with the missing ear from the moment he started liking Claire. I screamed when he got his ear chopped off and figured it out. I just knew he was going to fall in love with her and would either end up staying or almost get left there.
That ending "they made their own history, together" line was kind of cheesy, but I was still almost in tears when they went back to the sarcophagus.  

IMDB page, Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment