Thursday, May 22, 2014

The Jacket (2005)

Synopsis
Jack Starks (Adrien Brody) is a Gulf War vet who gets sent to an insane asylum after a string of bad luck while trying to hitchhike. He is sent there because he was found guilty of murdering a cop. There, Dr. Becker (Kris Kristofferson) put him through this insane experimental treatment which includes putting Jack in a straight jacket and then sticking him in a morgue drawer for hours. In that drawer Jack has visions of the future and finds out that he will soon die. With the help of Jackie Price (Kiera Knightly) and Dr. Beth Lorenson (Jennifer Jason Leigh), Jack tries to find out how he died.

My Verdict
I thought that the plot was very interesting and I didn't want to stop watching. I was tired while watching and did everything I could to stay awake because I didn't want to miss anything. I was a little confused in the beginning but that didn't last long.
First, I was mad because these people put Jack in this asylum and it clearly wasn't the best place for him. It didn't even seem like they diagnosed him. It was like they thought he was crazy so he was crazy, but they didn't have a real doctor diagnose him. Then, when he got to the asylum the doctors were awful, except for Dr. Lorenson. There was this whole reality v. fantasy thing going on. At times I had to remind myself what was reality and what wasn't.
I'm giving this movie an 8/10. Adrien Brody did a great job and I also really liked the music. It did a good job of setting the atmosphere. There was also a but of romance between Jack and Jackie which was a little odd because he met her as child. That was just weird to me, but other than that it was a good movie.

Spoilers
Just a couple spoilers which are really questions I had while and after watching. First, Jack got shot in the head in the beginning and they never talked about how he survived that. I'm guessing that was just put in to add to the list of things they used against him in court but I really want to know how he survived. I'll never know the answer and it's going to drive me nuts.
My other questions is does he stay in that future time forever now or not? They got him to the drawer in just enough time for him to make it back to the future but he does die in that drawer. I guess I'll never know the answer to this either.

IMDB page, Pic credit

No comments:

Post a Comment