Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Genlteman's Agreement

So today in class we watched Gentleman's Agreement. This movie was about a man who works for a magazine and he was asked to do a series on antisemitism. Now I really enjoyed this movie. It basically made the point that being prejudice is wrong and it did it in a very interesting way. The man, named Phil, pretended to be Jewish so he knew what it felt like personally. He was able to see how prejudice people really are towards Jews, at that time, and how prejudice Jews are to there own people. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. Now I don't want to give anything away so I'm gonna put my spoilers at the end. This is a pretty good old film if you like films with a message. There was a lot of over acting but this is normal because during this time people weren't used to sound yet. They still felt the need to act bigger because this is what they had to do when there were silent films. Overall it's a good film to watch. I recommend it.


SPOILERS!!!!!!
Now to this ending. I just didn't like after Phil realizes his fiance in prejudice, he goes back to her just because she had a quick change of heart. She finally realized she was wrong and once he knew that he wanted her again. I predicted that this would happen but I really didn't want it to. It made me so mad but I guess because of the Code that was in effect they had to show a happy ending because of her realization. I still didn't like the ending but there's nothing I can do about it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment