Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Switched at Birth - Ecce Mono

So, I feel a little weird reviewing this episode since it's not real, but what they hey, let's do it. 
The episode starts out about 13 years ago. We see the Kennish's morning routine. Little Bay and Toby are super adorable! Then John gets the call about the switch, they meet with lawyers and end up going to court. John gets what he wants and gets custody of both girls. All this takes place after Daphne goes deaf. We see her getting ripped out of Regina's hands and it's really heartbreaking. Then we move into the future; 13 years later. 
Here are the differences. Daphne has a cochlear implant and doesn't talk with and accent and she is one out of control girl! She's best friends with Simone (yikes!) and they get into plenty of trouble. She skips school, goes to a frat party, and gets with some guy she used to like! All I could think is 'Daphne that little slut!' Well, like mother like daughter. 
And let's talk more and Kathryn. Kathryn is still a writer, but she is also having an affair with that senator that made a pass at her in last weeks episode! That was a shocker. I never thought she would be like that, but John doesn't treat her well. And John is a push over, he let's Daphne get whatever she wants! Daphne just pulls the cochlear card and he feels sorry for her and he missed out on the first 3 years of her life so he just let's everything she does slide. 
Bay on the other hand is a goodie 2 shoes. She studies all the time and doesn't even know about the frat party, but Kathryn forces her to go with Daphne. Oh and she has short hair which is just really weird. Honest;y, I feel super bad for her. She's the outsider of the family and knows nothing about her real family. It's really sad. 
And Toby is still a gambler. But, we don't see much of Toby after this. I guess his life isn't really that important in this parallel universe. 
Also, Emmett exist in this universe and he meets Bay after she leaves the frat party and gives her a ride home. He questions her about her life and then they go on a search for some information on Regina and they find it! 
Bay and Daphne both go to Regina's house only to find her mother there. She know exactly who they are and when they ask about Regina the truth finally comes out. It turns out that Regina died some time before then on the girl's birthday! That had to be the saddest moment of the episode. I knew that she wasn't going to be alive but I still got teary eyed. And then the girls confronted John about it and it wasn't good because that was just after he confronted Kathryn about her affair. The dream lands ends with John collapsing but this time, no one was around to help him. I'm assuming that he would've died if the dream continued. 
In the final minutes we see John wake up to Kathryn and Regina standing there and the first thing John does is thank Regina for being there. I am so happy he said this. Hopefully he'll start to be more grateful for Regina and maybe even forgive her. Then I might actually like him ... MAYBE! I'm really hoping that there's a moment when someone says to John that he would've died if Regina wasn't there. Maybe it'll come next week.
Overall this episode was super weird and sad and I legit shed a tear, which is a big deal. I really wished that they changed the intro though. But, yeah this was just a really weird episode and I'm glad that it wasn't real, but I probably would watch the show if it was like this. Even though Regina was dead, Angelo could still be out there and seeing Bay go through the process of finding him would be interesting. Also, the cinematographer in me loved the transitions!
I can't wait until next week. It looks like it's going to be just as intense and emotion as last night was! Oh and if anyone knows what 'ecce mono' means I would appreciate you letting me know because I looked it up and found nothing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment